Thursday, March 13, 2008

Little Red Hen is Finished!

I finished "Little Red Hen" - the custom apron I have been working on. I'm really pleased with the way it came out. The time I put into it was more than I had planned on, but I enjoyed working on it and I did most of the embroidery on the train, which for some reason is more enjoyable - why is that? Maybe because it feels like free time. Another benefit is that embroidering on the train is very relaxing - a good thing since I'm on my way to and from work.

The four chicks on the apron stand for the 4 children of the woman who will be receiving the apron. I like the way the portraits of the animals came out. Here's where "google image search" really comes in handy! After I find good images I take them into illustrator and draw outlines - get them about the same size - then print them out onto cardstock and make stencils.


I had a couple of weeks to complete this apron (I got the commission at the same time I got the order for the PIE aprons) and I managed my time well. I like to do a little bit everyday - cut out all of the bodies, cut out all of the ties, make all of the pockets, etc. I never felt overwhelmed. With the Little Red Hen apron I embroidered the bib first (after I cut out the body), then moved on to the Hen pocket and chicks. I made them, pinned them down, and planned out the remainder of the embroidery. Once I finished that I sewed the hen and chicks in place, and finally constructed the apron. I'm looking forward to hearing from Molly, who commissioned the apron for her mom.

It looks like my freelance job might be ending for a while, so it's a good thing I got over to Sew Particular this week. I had an interesting meeting with the owner yesterday. I look forward to what might come of it...


5 comments:

Blaize said...

I was going to write something sort of intelligent, maybe, but instead I will just transcribe the words of the made-up song I was singing while looking at the photos here: "The awesome, the awesome, the awesome. The awesome."

Kerry said...

Thanks Blaize - I'm really happy with this one - I had my doubts as I was working on it, but when it finally all came together - I was very pleased. I hope I get more requests for originals like this.

Anonymous said...

it's excellent kerry! well done! and nothing better than feeling really good about it too! :)

futuregirl said...

Adorable! Your stitching is amazing. :)

cookie said...

sew cute!
hope you get more commisions to!!
love