Thursday, July 2, 2009

4th of July Aprons

My Roller Derby Club "Derby Lite" is skating in the Oak Park 4th of July parade. We realized in our last parade that we really needed an apron to carry the swag (skate keychains, jaw breakers, helmet patrol coupons) so Vivi Sewhot (me) was enlisted to make the apropns.

Queen B and I went to TDO last week to pick out the fabrics and notions. We found a perfect combo of the red denim with the blue and white striped kitchen fabric for the pockets. I loved how easy the blue and white fabric was to cut and press! We picked out grosgrain ribbon because it will stay tied better than a satin ribbon. I estimated that it would take at least 5 hours to make the aprons - from cutting to the final step Quality Control - it ended up taking a little over 6. They went much quicker than the 20 Smash Cake aprons of course. I didn't finish the seams for ease, and also because we plan to cover the backside of the apron with St. Patrick's Day themed fabrics, since we skate in the Forest Park St. Patrick's day parade too!

I'm really pleased with the way the apron looks on - I think it will make a great impression when we are all skating in them on Saturday. Last year was our first year and it was a BLAST - I can't wait!! Come out and see us if you can - the parade starts at 10am and goes up Ridgeland Avenue in Oak Park.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

I wish I could come see you all skating in your aprons! Good job Ms. Sewhot!

Blaize said...

These are super-great. Good job, and you will all look fabulous.

catherine said...

you are amazing. I'm in awe of your skills!!